For those of you who don't know, today is International Transgender Day of Visibility. TDOV is an annual event occurring on March 31 dedicated to celebrating the transgender community and raising awareness of discrimination faced by transgender people worldwide.
That being said, here are five things you can do today and every other day to support the transgender community. The "T" in LGBTQ is not silent, now let's make some noise.
1. Do Your Homework
Break out the books (okay, who are we kidding – google) and learn everything from Trans history to the appropriate language to understanding the intersections of being trans and other identities.
2. Do NOT Out Anyone
It may be Transgender Day of Visibility but that does not give you the green light to out any of your trans friends. This is a process for everyone, if they do not post today, do not do it for them.
3. Attend Local Transgender Day of Visibility Events
Transgender Day of Visibility events are happening all over the world today. If you can get out to one or two, do it. You can find listed events on Facebook, bonus points if you tag us at any #TDOV events on Instagram.
4. Support Organizations That Promote Trans Equality
Whether you're looking to donate, or volunteer there are tons of ways to support organizations or businesses that promote trans equality. Currently, we support the Trevor Project but there plenty of organizations out there. Shoutout to Bustle for having this amazing list of Trans Rights Organizations you can donate to, right now.
5. Call People Out
Be a good ally by calling out friends and family around you, if they are being transphobic or cissexist. This is ALSO why it's important to do your research and learn more about the Trans community because then you can educate those around you.
- Definitions: http://www.transstudent.org/definitions
- Understanding the Transgender Community: https://www.hrc.org/resources/understanding-the-transgender-community
- International Transgender Day Of Visibility: https://www.hrc.org/resources/international-transgender-day-of-visibility
- Trans Lifeline: https://www.translifeline.org/
- TransWomen of Color Collective: https://www.twocc.us/
- Trans Youth Equality Foundation: http://transyouthequality.tumblr.com/post/133199669754/at-first-we-thought-this-might-be-too-harsh-to